Saturday, February 3, 2007

Heavy Research Day. Anticipate Church Tomorrow.

As I close out my first week at Tyndale House, things are beginning to click for me. I'm learning the library system, how things are to be done, I've finally figured out the photo copy/scanner machine, and where various resources can be located. So, I've been gathering resources today and have been reading quite a lot.

Given the number of essays, books, and theses on one of my fields of resear
ch, the apostle Paul's view of the Mosaic Law, that have burgeoned since my last major research in the field, I am overwhelmed with volumes of materials. In order to maximize my research time in Cambridge, I fear that I may have to alter my intentions somewhat. I think I may need to narrow my research and be less ambitious about what I intended to accomplish. Instead of focusing upon revisiting the full subject of my dissertation (a study of the faith-works of the law antithesis in Galatians 3:1-14), I believe that I will use my allotted time more effectively if I narrow the focus of my work to concentrate upon three essays that I am scheduled to complete before the end of December 2007.

This is what a week's worth of research has done to me. It has confirmed what my wife knew all along, namely, that my designs were overly ambitious for a few weeks of research at Tyndale House.

For tomorrow, I have been invited to join a fellow Tyndale House researcher and his wife to attend The Round Church at St. Andrews the Great, here in Cambridge. As I recall, my colleague, Dr. Jackie Glenny's
C.S. Lewis's Cambridge: A Walking Tour Guide begins at the Round Church. For future reference for anyone visiting Cambridge, here is a little blurb about the walking guide.

C S Lewis's Cambridge: A Walking Tour Guide, Jacqueline Glenny - The story of C S Lewis's translation to Cambridge and his last few years is charmingly told by Dr Jaqueline Glenny, an American academic. A Walking Tour Guide, which takes you on a tour of the town and is very well illustrated but also paints a fascinating portrait of Lewis the man as well as Cambridge.