Friday, February 2, 2007

New Acquaintances and One Old

What a small world! At tea this morning I struck up a conversation with a gentleman whose name is Kevin Conway, a theological educator in Croatia with a mission organization out of southern California. Kevin introduced me to two other gentlemen, Peter Lau from Australia (working on ethics in the book of Ruth) and Jason Fout (working on the glory of God in Christian theology).

Jason responded, "Actually we have met before." I'm sure my face showed great puzzlement, for I had no recollection of meeting Jason. He tested my memory, which is usually quite sharp, but I could not coax any recollections of seeing his face before. So, I begged, "Give me a context where we may have met." Jason responded, "College of Lake County." Talk about an obscure segment of my life! That was truly obscure. In the fall of 1988 I took a course in German as I was preparing to take the qualifying exam for my Ph.D. program. Jason, fresh out of high school, and I sat in the same classroom under the teaching of Herr Krupp. I, of course, have little recollection of students in the class, because I was on campus only to attend that one class three days each week.

Jason also knows another gentleman who is presently studying at Tyndale House. The two attended the same high school together. He is Jonathan Moo. Of course, I have a connection with Jonathan. His father, Douglas Moo, served as my first reader during the dissertation phase of my Ph.D. program. Douglas Moo is now Blanchard Professor of New Testament at Wheaton College.

Today, I received my University Centre card. It gives me access to university buildings, but especially to the University Center. It will be useful this evening when I go to th
e centre for dinner with a friend from Tyndale House, Barry Danylak, who is working on a Ph.D. through St. Edmund's College, but living and researching at Tyndale House. Before we go to the University Centre we plan to attend Evensong at St. John's College, which is reputed to have an excellent male choir. I shall hear for myself this evening. Come to think of it, I do not have to wait until this evening. I can listen now, which I am doing on-line. I am listening to the Epiphany Carol Service 2007. You may listen as well.

Thanks for stopping by to read my journal.