Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Touring Cambridge on a Mission


I took a non-tourist brisk walk through the heart of Cambridge today, passing by building after building rich with history and representative of extended traditions. I walked by campuses with familiar names--Newnham College, Ridley Hall, Queens College, St. Catherine's College, Corpus Christi College, King's College. I behaved, however, as though I were not a tourist nor as if it were my first time in Cambridge. Why? I was on a mission. I was heading to Sainsbury's, the major food market in the heart of the city. It was a wonderful opportunity for me to get to know the lay of the city.

The streets are narrow. Motor vehicle traffic is extremely restricted. If one drives a vehicle into the city without a permit, bollards of various kinds will rise from the pavement to attack the vehicle and leave it in rather poor condition. Bicycling and footing it are the chief ways to get around Cambridge.

I am getting settled in to researching. These fi
rst few days have not been very productive, however, because I am learning the system of the Tyndale House library. Now that I am getting a little better accustomed to the system, I anticipate that my productivity will increase.

I have particularly enjoyed getting to know other scholar-readers at Tyndale during tea time which is at 11:00 am and 4:00 pm. I've had particularly delightful conversations with David Peters, professor of political science at Biola University, Don Howell, professor of New Testament Greek at Columbia International University, and Onesimus Ngundu, one of seventy African contributors to the
Africa Bible Commentary: A One-Volume Commentary. I have invited Onesimus to submit a copy of his resume for me to bring back to the Department of Biblical & Theological Studies for consideration for a possible faculty position in Christian Theology.